The first associates of the BSA were elected in 1896 during the directorship of Cecil Harcourt Smith. The purpose, according to the BSA's 'Rules and Regulations' (XXII, 1895/6), was for individuals who were 'actively engaged in study or exploration in Greek lands'.
Among them was the Rev. Alfred Hamilton Cruikshank (1862-1927), a younger contemporary of Harcourt Smith at Winchester; both were scholars. (Penrose, the first director, was also a Wykehamist.) Cruikshank subsequently went to New College, Oxford where he obtained a first in classics. After serving as tutor at New College (1889-91) he taught at Harrow (1891-94) before returning to Winchester in 1894 (and was chaplain from 1896). Cruikshank visited the Meteora during 1895/96 and published an account in the newly established Annual (A.H. Cruickshank [sic.], 'Meteora', Annual of the British School at Athens 2, 1895/6, 105-12). In 1910 Cruikshank left Winchester to hold the chair of Greek and Classical Literature at the University of Durham.
Two other scholars were elected Associates at the same time: Professor J.B. Bury of Trinity College, Dublin, and Arthur J. Evans, Keeper of the Ashmolean Museum. Both were later elected Honorary Students of the School.
O porto da praia de Santos
5 days ago